1. Mom has flat tire. Two kids in the car and it's about 12947840236 degrees. She has to walk down Hwy 61 to a friend's house with both of us in tow. Did I mention I was barefooted in a bathing suit and that Grace probably weighed 40 pounds as a three year old?
2. Dad decides to take us all to the beach. We get one of those pop up violent thunderstorms and have to flee to the car. Only we have an addition to our family - a stray yellow lab that for whatever reason my dad decided we had to rescue. So, two parents, two kids, all associated beach stuff and a soaking wet random dog in our car. Mom manages to find a shelter to drop the dog off while Dad stays in the car. Nice.
3. Get home, get cleaned up and try to salvage the day by going out to dinner at Carey Hillard's. That's right, folks, class all the way. Anyway, we are eating dinner and the power goes out in the restaurant.
4. Back home again, the power is out there also. By this time, everyone had just had it and was ready for bed. Because there was no power there was also no A/C and remember, it's 4723017025 degrees, so us kids were sleeping on the floor in the hall.
5. Everyone has been asleep for a few hours when I wake up because I was throwing up. At this point in my life, I had hair almost to my waist and since I was asleep when my stomach decided to revolt, well, let's just say it wasn't good. Poor Mom gets me cleaned up, remakes a place for me to sleep, gets Grace back to sleep and goes back to bed. Remember, this is all happening in the dark.
6. At four AM the power comes back on. Great, right? Only not so much at our house because my dad had gone around flipping all the light switches, television, radio, etc. - pretty much anything with power and hadn't turned them off. So, in the middle of the night, our house comes to life with a PASSION. Mom finally cracks and goes ballistic and we all begin our day.
So, in case you have ever wondered where my bad luck came from, I would tell you to look back to that fateful day in 1983 when my history of misfortune began.