Monday, August 22, 2011

Enter The Dragon


Anyone who has known me for more than five minutes knows that I do not like "vermin". I'm anti guinea pig, hamster, gerbil, mouse, squirrel - basically any member of the order Rodentia. Compounding this dislike is the fact that we own a Jack Russell terrier, who may actually hate rodents more than I do, as her MO is to dismember/maim/eat them. This means I have gotten away with never having to deal with a squeaking hamster wheel or two supposedly male gerbils showing up in the cage one day with 11 babies.

However. Today we brought home a reptile. The evolution of this process was slow and insidious. It began with an unchaperoned, ie with Dad, trip to the pet store. Next came the aquarium donated from the neighbor, complete with reptile accoutrements. Then a copy of Reptile magazine mysteriously appeared in the mailbox. Next came the begging and pleading. The negotiating. The tears. More negotiating, this time with the husband.

I made my final stand by stating that I would have absolutely nothing to do with it. NOTHING. I said that my only contribution will be that I will try to stop the dog/cats from killing it if they ever come into contact with each other. Oh, and I did promise to make everyone's lives hell if it stinks up my house. See? I'm a giver - can't help it, just my nature.

BUT. Then we went to buy it and he looked right at me while tilting his little head. It was cute. He's cute. And I kind of like him. Shhhhhhh...

So, without further ado, please meet Spike.


PS. Please tell me someone gets my movie reference. I wanted to name him Bruce Lee but no one else thought that was funny.

post signature

Pin It

No comments: