Friday, September 2, 2011

Holding My Breath

Wednesday afternoon my cell phone rang, and as soon as I came completely to a full stop in a legal parking area I looked to see who it was. Okay, that's a lie. I actually took one hand off the steering wheel, wrinkled my nose that my sunglasses would slide down enough to read the screen and narrowly avoided spilling my diet coke in my lap.


Long story short, it was Will's teacher. If you've been following this story, you can understand why seeing her name pop up made my stomach roll over. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi teacher!

Teacher: Hey Rebeccah - just wanted to know if you have a minute to talk about Will.

Me: Sure thing! What's up? (inwardly heaving a silent sigh)

Teacher: I just wanted to let you know that Will is doing great. He's happy, he's settled, he's doing his work, he's making friends, just doing fantastic.

Me: sputtering That is wonderful! I am so happy to hear that! I cannot believe this!

Yep, you read that right folks. Will is doing great in school right now. Just last night he told us that he likes school. After I awoke from a dead faint, I gave him a huge hug and told him how happy it made me to hear him say that. Then he says, "It makes me happy when Mommy is happy. And when Mommy is angry, it scares me." Um. Let's just put that aside for now, okay?

Anyway, remember, this is the same child who begged me to home school him not a mere three months ago. Who started worrying about going back to school about a week after it let out in June. The one who I lost countless nights of sleep worrying over. He LIKES SCHOOL! This is so huge it couldn't BE any huge-r!

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll admit I've been holding my breath, waiting for the other shoe to drop. But I'm trying to stay in the moment and enjoy the wonderful feelings that go along with this drastic improvement. Not dealing with the school peeps ten times a week is great, but the fact that he's happy and doing so well is what has me totally over the moon.

"I like school." I don't know that any words other than "I love you" have ever made my heart sing like that.

Happy Friday y'all.


post signature

Pin It

4 comments:

Angieaprilfool said...

I've never had a teacher take the time out to give good news before! What a delight! So glad the year has started off well for your son! Here's hoping he'll stay engaged all year!

Elysa Henegar said...

So happy to hear that things are going so well, especially after such a tough beginning! And kudos to the teacher who took the time to call and encourage you with something positive about your son! Great news, and happy weekend!

bereccah said...

Our teacher is wonderful! She's practically a member of the family, thank goodness! Appreciate y'all encouraging words. :-)

Oysterblogger said...

awesome! what a relief.