Monday, October 17, 2011

Filed Under WTH

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting on my back porch enjoying the gorgeous weather and conversation with my mom when Will appears through the back door looking quite distraught. I asked him what was wrong and he says, "I was feeding Spike (the baby bearded dragon we bought Will for his birthday)and he jumped into the tube and now he's stuck!" I asked him if he had told Daddy and he confirmed that Lawton was already on the case. Thinking that this simply couldn't be that big of a deal, I went upstairs to check on the husband and help. Or supervise. Or be in the way, however you want to describe it is fine with me.

Upon opening the door to Will's room, I realized that situation was much more dire than originally thought. Lawton was sitting on the floor holding the tube with the lizard inside of it surrounded by multiple implements of destruction. Y'all, let me tell you - that creature was STUCK. The tube is rough on the inside, I guess so the crickets can crawl into it maybe, so when Spike forced his dumb self inside, his beard spikes got caught. Plus it was just barely big enough for him to get into in the first place, so getting him out was a serious trick.

I looked into the tube at his face. Eyes were closed, not moving and it seemed that his color was fading. Dear God, I thought, PLEASE do not let this lizard die - my son will be brokenhearted beyond consolation. Lawton and I went back and forth some about how to get him out and decided to cut down the tube as much as possible, then push him forward so that his spikes wouldn't catch against the inside. This was risky in itself because Spike is only a baby and their bones are extremely fragile, so there was a very real possibility that if he did live that there would be some collateral damage.

Finally he was out and none too soon - he had already started to turn black at his beard and throat, which I took to mean that he was actively suffocating while Lawton was extricating him. He didn't move for few seconds and then THANK GOODNESS he took a breath. We put him back in his tank and he just sat there, motionless and still not breathing but looking sort of alert. And then finally, he just propped himself up on his front legs and began breathing normally and looking at us all like, "What? What are you looking at me like that for?"

Spike seems to be okay and I cannot even begin to explain how happy that makes me. The boy loves that lizard more than just about anything and to lose him in such a terrible way would have just been devastating. Will appears pretty nonplussed about the whole thing but I don't think that he had any idea how bad it was. About 4AM I checked on the kids and was happy to see Spike the baby beardie sleeping on top of his tree and the boy and my cat sleeping peacefully nearbye. Thank you God, for realz.



post signature

Pin It

No comments: