Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Very Special Day

Around the beginning of last week, Will had a note in his folder from school that read "Will has something great to show you. :-)" Further investigation into the folder revealed this:

"Will!" I shrieked, causing him to jump about a foot off the floor. "You're the Terrific Kid?! That is AWESOME!" Grinning from ear to ear, he was obviously pleased at my reaction, but played it off like it was no big thing. It IS a big thing, I made sure to be clear about with him.

The teachers nominate two kids from their class every nine weeks, based on a certain set of characteristics that change over the course of the year. This grading period, the attributes in question were "Knowledge and Creativity" and Will's teacher basically told me he was a shoe-in. The boy is a walking encyclopedia of information and loves to learn, so I can say with a large amount of certainty that this was a completely unbiased nomination.

Again, if you've been reading for a while, you know why this is so huge but if you haven't, you can go here for the back story: http://connellyconfusion.blogspot.com/2011/08/school-year-2011-12-and-im-terrified.html

Or here: http://connellyconfusion.blogspot.com/2007/09/on-more-serious-note.html


Or even here: http://connellyconfusion.blogspot.com/2011/09/holding-my-breath.html 


Or pretty much all over this blog.

Anyway, it was with no small amount of pride that today I sat in the lunchroom at school, watching my boy get his award. It's just a certificate and a bumper sticker but to us it is so very much more than that. There are still struggles and bumps in the road, but to be here instead of here there is just amazing. It was less than three months ago that I wrote about being terrified of this school year and look where we are now. Wow. Just wow.

We are so fortunate to have an extremely supportive administration but truly, I cannot say enough good things about his teacher. She has been our own personal angel since day one and we'd be absolutely lost without her. She treats Will like he is one of her own children and I will be forever grateful to her for loving my boy enough to help drag him off the road he was on. Thank you Leslie Ann Carpenter. Thank you for everything. We love you.


post signature Pin It

No comments: