Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where I'm From, or, How I'm Hell Bound Bent and Determined to Finish This Freaking Thing

I am not much of a creative writer, nor do I like stretching for old memories, but yet I felt compelled to participate in the this writing exercise shared by Mama Kat on her blog http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/  way back in September. I stopped and started many times and have finally gotten it to where I can live with it, so here it is.

The reason I have perserved instead of throwing it aside is because I also am (kind of) participating in Blogher's NaBloPoMo, where bloggers are challenged to push themselves to write more frequently and about subjects that they normally wouldn't, in order to improve their writing. Hopefully. Check out http://www.blogher.com/ to read more. There are literally thousands and thousands of blog posts about all manner of things. My tomato sandwich post http://connellyconfusion.blogspot.com/2011/11/nablopomo-post-2-if-you-knew-that.html originated there and it has had about 500 reads so far, which is amazing to me - that people might be interested in what I think about tomatoes!

Anyway, here is my version of "Where I'm From".  Be sure to check the end of the post for the prompt template, and please feel free to do one and share it. It really is an interesting exercise, once you get going. I'd love to read anyone elses, should you want to share.


I am from bicycles made by Schwinn, from Mary Kay and Mom's lipstick.
I am from the brick house on a corner lot in a neighborhood where kids ran free, one that often smelled of coffee, bacon and toast.

I am from the pink azalea, the sticky pine tree that splinters apart during a named storm, from the black soil of Tennessee and the sandy dirt of South Carolina.

I am from tables loaded with casseroles and telling tall tales, from Lillian and Martha and Aubrey and Earl, from Williams, Cross, Mitchener and Moseley.
I am from the brown bottle and bad tempers. From apologies offered the next day. From silly adults and sneaky teenagers.

From say ma'am and sir, and because I said so.

I am from many churches, whichever one was the one at the time. From the red book of prayer to the praise dancers in white.

I’m from the Amen Corner and Anglo stiff upper lip and pan fried corn bread and mile high biscuits.
From the grandmother who taught a little girl to "fish" in a ditch with a stick, some twine and a paper clip. From the eighth child in a family of eleven people.
I am from the staircase walls, the nursing home end tables, the collective memories sequentially forgotten and lost, from boxes stored under the bed and from yellowed paper pedigrees that indicate nothing and many things all at once. From their place on list of things to save in case of disaster. Where I'm from is with me wherever I go.

Thanks for reading...and if you need to laugh at me, that's fine. But be sure to say, "Bless her heart" first. ;-)


Prompt begins here:
I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.




I am from the _______ (home description… adjective, adjective, sensory detail).



I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)



I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).



I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).



From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).



I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.



I’m from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing your family).



From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).



I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines indicating their worth).



post signature Pin It

2 comments:

Angie Mizzell said...

Wow. This is so good. The part about the brown bottle and next day apologies really got me. So many of us experienced that.

bereccah5 said...

Thank you very much! It's amazing how many people are member of that particular club...thank you so much for coming by. :-)