Thursday, December 15, 2011

Just a Mommy Blog

Last week I ran into a Facebook friend whom I've never met IRL. That's "in real life" for those of you who don't know the lingo, and something I didn't know until about five minutes ago, so don't feel bad. I only have a few of these people as friends, because I find that most times the people who friend strangers are using FB as a marketing tool for their business, cause, etc. I don't have a problem with this kind of use but I just am not interested for the most part. There are a few notable exceptions, and this person is one of them.

This nice FB person was also having lunch with a friend and during the course of our brief conversation, the FB friend made mention of my blog, prompting his friend to ask what it was about. Firstly, I was completely not expecting the question from a man, which apparently is a misconception I should work on. Secondly, I'm ashamed of my answer. "Uh, uh, it's my family blog. Just a mommy blog, really."

Just a mommy blog?! WTH Rebeccah?! Seriously.

I surprised myself with this one. I'm proud of this blog. Well, at least I thought I was. But when speaking to two much younger men about it, I felt stupid. And old. I also write a sports blog and will talk about it and it's contents to anyone who will listen. Why then, was I embarrassed about my mommy blog?

The worse part is that even after I answered the question so badly, I went even further. "It's not cheesy", I elaborated. "I'm actually kind of mean sometimes." Why why why did I feel the need to distance myself even further? No, the sappy-sweet blogs are not my ilk, but they are someone's, and that is fine - to each their own and all that biz. Anyone who blogs at all has my respect, because putting your stuff out there for anyone to see is kind of well, scary.

The point is that I was self-concious. I do write a family/mommy blog and am proud of that. I consider myself in the same genre (though not calibre - yet ;-) as people like Scary Mommy, The BloggessSuburban Turmoil and lots of other moms keeping it real, because I think we could all stand a little more real living and a whole lot less pressure to be perfect. I'm imperfect, my family is imperfect and sometimes putting a humorous or acerbic twist on a painful situation makes it sting a little less.

So, here is my new answer, "Hi, I'm Rebeccah. I write this awesome blog called Connelly Confusion. It's mostly about my family, with a little humor and the occasional snarky observation about something on the news. Occasionally it's very personal. Feel free to stop by - I love visitors!"

How about you guys? Do you ever feel self-concious when someone asks about your blog? Have you ever pooh-poohed it, like I did? Share your deep dark secrets with meeeeee!


post signature Pin It

5 comments:

Becky Hoppmann said...

Hindsight is always 20/20... just consider it a learning curve - now ya know how you truly feel about it, and you have your answer ready for next time! :)

bereccah5 said...

Yep! I'm thinking of making up business cards. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! As to the topic at hand, I think sometimes it is hard to realize we are not in our 20s anymore and that what is important to us now may seem irrelevant to the younger set. Be proud of your family, your life and the things that you are passionate about.

Lauren said...

Hi! Just popped over here from a link on your facebook wall via your comment about meatloaf on Holly's post...and now I sound like a stalker, BUT! I know exactly how you feel...I used to be very self conscious about my blog, didn't tell people about it, was shy when it came up in conversation and generally offered the "it's just a blog" kind of comment you mention here. I took an e-course this fall by Holly Becker of decor8, and it was amazing. Called Blogging your Way (she's offering one again in March, I think), I learned so many amazing things, and *met* so many amazing people, but the most important was that I learned to really love my blog. And to own how much I love it, ya know? Anyway, long winded to say, I hear what you're saying! I think your blog is great, and I'll be back!

bereccah5 said...

Hi Lauren - thanks so much for coming by and especially for sharing! It's interesting how easy it is to feel sheepish during face to face discussion. Weird, because I am not shy in the least! Anyway, this course sounds great - definitely going to look into that. And don't worry about FB stalking - the way I see is don't put it out there if you don't want people to look! ;-)