Sunday, January 15, 2012

Newt Gingrich Is Not An Orthopedist

My husband and I have a few opposing political views, which has lead to some rather heated discussions. Over the past few weeks, and especially as the South Carolina primary approaches, these conversations have become more frequent. On top of the frequency of conversation, we have an open floor plan in our house, which leads to basically no privacy during these chats.

Here are some gems that my children have taken away from their eavesdropping on our political chats:
  • "Newt Gingrich is not an orthopedist!" - this is a combination of a political discussion that segued into me fussing at my husband for not having his (turned out to be broken) foot looked at. Obviously, Newt Gingrich has nothing to do with my husband's lack of orthopedic care. This particular clause has now evolved into describing anything ridiculous or stupid, thereby rendering it even more nonsensical. 
  • "Ron Paul is coming to make them eat cake!" - another combo from our talking about the space between personal responsibility and having a social safety net for the poor, sick, elderly and children. Still, the mental image I get of a combination of Ron Paul and Marie Antoinette makes me laugh. 
  • "They are going to have parties at the news meeting?" - yesterday I participated in the Mike Huckabee Forum, South Carolina Undecided, and I was trying to explain my question about bi-partisan cooperation to the kids. No, I was sad to tell them, there was no party at the news meeting.
This was actually pretty cool. I submitted my question via email, and was selected to ask mine on the show. The taping was at the Sottile Theatre at the College of Charleston, and I and about thirty-something other people were sorted into groups for each candidate. My question was to be directed to Newt Gingrich, which was a little tricky for me because I had submitted the question to be at large. Anyway, we all lined up to practice into the mic, get instructions etc., and then we settled in to wait.
 
(As an aside, I'm pretty moderate politically, but am really unsure who I plan to vote for, and that includes the President. I'm not making a political statement here, just trying to share something interesting I did.)  Anyway, the show began and all of a sudden I realized I was scared to damn death. I don't know what I thought would happen when I submitted my question - didn't really think that one through I guess.

I and my seatmate began whispering to each other that we hoped they ran out of time before they got to us, but it turned out not to be the case and ask we did. My question was addressed to Newt Gingrich and if you are interested in seeing how it went, check out this video Huckabee Forum and you'll find me a little past the 38 minute mark. I've been told I didn't look as terrified as I felt, which is a good thing, because between me, you and the fence post, I actually wanted to puke. Also, I think my nerves also increased my accent, because I don't generally sound quite so southern. Interesting twist.

Honestly, the lesson I hope my children take away from this news show deal, and from the conversations between me and my husband is to be informed, involved, and to VOTE. Regardless of the humorous confusion, they need to know how important it is to be involved in our political process, no matter what your views. Oh, I also hope they learn about the dangers of eavesdropping, because I'm pretty sure no one wants Newt Gingrich to be their orthopedist!


post signature Pin It

3 comments:

Tlellisor said...

You were awesome!!

Grace Renee Williams said...

yay! I checked out your link- very nice question and you did seem very composed :)

bereccah5 said...

Thanks! I was very nervous. :-)