Monday, January 23, 2012

A Tale of Two Lovies

So yesterday was our anniversary, and instead of going out, we planned a nice meal/movie date at home scheduled for after the kiddo's bedtime. On the way to the grocery store I had the thought that maybe the kids could stay home alone and we could go out for a quick dinner close by. I called Lawton and asked him what he thought, and basically we agreed that we thought it would be fine if it were just Cecilia, but that Will is probably still too young.

It worked out though, because my mom surprised me with a rugrat sleepover at Grandma's house, which was super nice. She brought them back this morning, all ready for to leave for school. While we were switching their stuff around, she told me that Will had gotten all upset because we had forgotten to send his lovie with him. Lovies are a big deal at our house. No one is allowed to tease about them and they are completely exempt from the normal sharing rules.

Just a week ago, my husband and FIL met between here and Summerville to get Cecilia's back to her after she forgot it. So y'all, when I say big deal, I mean BIG deal - I broke into a church to retrieve a lovie once, no joke. Anyway, apparently Will spent quite a while last night trying to convince my mom to get one us to bring it to him like we did for Celi. Mom tried to console him about it because she really didn't want to bother us on our date night. The meltdown raged on, until (and this makes me tear up), his sister offered him hers. He wrapped it up in his arms and immediately drifted off to sleep.

When my mom was telling me about this, I initially thought she was kidding. Cecilia won't even let me hold her lovie for more than about four seconds. The fact that she shared it with her brother absolutely astounds me. She is a total sweetheart, but like most big sisters, gives her brother a pretty hard time. But last night she put her own (strong) feelings aside to help her brother, and honestly, I don't think I've ever been more proud of her.

I've told my kids over and over that I don't care if they are astrophysicists or dump truck drivers, or anything in between - all I care about is that they are happy, doing their best and are kind to others. They've also gotten the speech about how you will only ever have one brother/sister etc. and to treat each other like they understand this. To see one of them put that into action makes me just about burst with pride. I'm sure they'll be back to trying to make the other rue the day they were born by this afternoon, but for now I'm just going to think about that moment when a lovie was shared. It may seem a small thing, but to us it was huge. So proud.

***Photo from the Komet Creations website, home of the original Lovie.***

post signature Pin It

No comments: