Friday, February 24, 2012

Those Long Dead Relatives Don't Just Find Themselves You Know

I am a major people watcher. This is why I like Facebook so much - to me it's virtual people watching, not in a creepy way, of course, but just as you might in person. I like to know what people think, why they do the things they do, what they think about what I do, what they think about what I think about why they do things. Sometimes this is known as being nosy, but I like to think of it as sociological information gathering through observation - sounds better, you know? Throw in my affinity for a good freak show and it is ON.

It's harmless, really. I don't have any interest in utilizing any information I may gather, I just like to know stuff. The same applies to useless trivia - need a garbage disposal for useless information? Look no further, yours truly is on the job!

However. There are times when this drive for omniscience goes too far. Like now, when I have basically blinded myself with my newly acquired Ancestry.com membership. Here is what happens when nosy garbage disposal gene blends with history nerd gene: nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero. See where I'm going with this?

Time stops. Finding out where my great great great grandmother's burial plot is becomes a matter of SIGNIFICANT IMPORTANCE!  AND WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE A MOMENT IN PEACE?!?! Don't you know what's going on here?! Gah! (yes, I'm rolling my eyes too, okay?)

And then I look at the clock and realize that it is almost midnight. And that everything more than two feet away is looking a little jumpy and hazy, all at the same time. And that my head hurts, and I am thirsty, hungry and in need of a restroom break, not to mention a decent night's sleep.

In short, I have realized that this may be extreme, and probably need to get a grip. And I will say that one of my favorite things about Facebook is that it has allowed me and my far-flung cousins (who are all quite smart and witty people, I must say) to get to know each other a little better. And I also recognize that part of this curiosity about my ancestry is from being a fairly rootless individual, so I cut myself a little slack there.

But then I remind myself that there are so many things to know but the stuff that count the most is right in front of me. Every day. And surely, they want to know what their ancestral roots are too, right? Right! Mom's on it guys, don't you worry.
post signature Pin It

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've always wondered how useful ancestry.com is.

bereccah5 said...

It's totally fun, and it works pretty well so far as I can tell. I am just scratching the surface thus far. I like it but WHOA what a time suck! Thanks for coming by. :-)