Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cookies In Lieu Of Creativity

Anyone who has been following this blog for any length of time knows that I am not a blogger because I am driven internally to write. For some bloggers, writing truly is a part of their makeup - I am not one of them. What this means to you is that when I'm stressed, the already marginal flow of creative juices is squelched to well, not even a trickle. All brain power is directed elsewhere.

However. There is one thing that never, ever, fails to fascinate me and that is food. Unfortunately for my waistline, I find food endlessly intriguing. And so now, in a time of slumping blog status, I turn to my palette for inspiration. This is good for my readers too, because I have all kinds of fun recipes to share with you!

Let me give you some back story. About five years ago, my coworkers and I discovered an amazing bakery over on East Bay called Three Smart Cookies. You guys, this is no exaggeration - those were possibly the best cookies I've ever had. All of them. It didn't matter what you got, it was wonderful. Out of all the varieties they had to offer, the ginger cookie was my favorite. I would swoop down on the day old offerings and buy them all.

Sadly, Three Smart Cookies closed their doors awhile back. (Note: if they are still around in some incarnation, please, someone tell me, because sniff, I've missed them terribly.) Anyway, I'd been trying to recreate the fabulous ginger cookies forever and had a trail of wanton cookie destruction behind me. Oh, they all tasted good, mostly. But they kept turning out to be more like ginger snaps, which, while also quite tasty, was not what I was looking for.

Then. The heavens parted, light shone down all around me, and I could swear I could feel brush of angel's wings. Or that could have just been the heat from the oven. Not sure. But I digress. I ran across this recipe last fall when I saw it on my friend Lindsay Ferrier's website Suburban Turmoil. She had gotten from one of her friends, Tami Hodge. Y'all this cookie is viral. It's just that good.

So here's the deal. Those of you who are on a Dukan diet, a Paleo diet, an Atkins diet or any other kind of diet really just need to keep on moving. This is not the recipe for you. Unless of course you are willing to be corrupted, in which case, please stay. What surprised me about this recipe that it is actually a molasses cookie. I think maybe Three Smart Cookies called it ginger because maybe people don't think as positively about molasses? I don't know but the cookie is the same one, no mistake about that.

Here is where I really had to do a double take though - the secret ingredient is Butter Flavored Crisco. Do not, and I repeat, do not deviate from this. There is no substituting. Butter itself does not do the trick. Believe me, I tried. The other caveat I would add to this recipe is if you are using a non-stick cookie sheet, you may want lower the baking temp to 350. Not sure if this is just my oven, or if it's a universal thing, but these just are soooo much better when they come out at the still slightly gooey stage and then cool on a rack.

So, enough chatter from me. Here it is. The singular best cookie recipe you'll ever have. You may have a tastier recipe (doubtful, but possible I guess) but this one is simple, affordable and delicious, which is why I say it's best. Go, bake this. Try to prove me wrong. I dare you. I double dog dare you. You will probably need to bring me some for testing and accuracy. Enjoy!

TaMolasses Cookies
3/4 cup Butter Flavored Crisco
1 cup packed light Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses (I have yet to find this brand but the kind I have works fine.)
1 egg
(blend above ingredients together til creamy)

add…
2 cups White Flour (plus 1 – 2 tblsp depending if the dough is too sticky after final mixture)
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tblsp (or more ) Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cloves
3/4 tsp Ginger

Mix well into the creamed mixture. The dough should be very slightly sticky, but not so sticky that if you touch it would stick to your finger. you should be able to roll it in your hands without it sticking to your palms. if its too sticky add that 1 – 2 tblsp extra baking flour and mix again.

Roll into balls, roll into sugar, bake in a 375 degree oven for 9-11 minutes.

Note: I generally tinker with the spices as I like some more than others. Make it yours!


***This is Lindsay's picture, as I do not have the good sense to take one of my own.***




post signature Pin It

3 comments:

Mom vs the world said...

I too have made these cookies and they are absolutely delicious! They are yummy everyday cookies and work well for coolie swaps during the holidays. Sadly-sniff, sniff- my children do not like them so I have to eat them myself when I bake them.

Love your blog! I think all moms can really relate :)

Tammy Hodge said...

i am just now seeing this and i just hope you are loving these cookies!!

bereccah5 said...

Girl. I cannot even tell you how much I love these cookies. I tell everyone about them!