Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm Looking For Opinions. Yes, Even Yours.

When I write, typically the post has been percolating in my head for a few days before I begin typing. I don't plan my writing in advance, although I do sometimes jot down things I mean to think about later. So usually, I just get started and with about 30-45 minutes of uninterrupted work, the post is done. I do a re-read and some basic editing for spelling and grammar but that's it.

Sometimes though, it takes more than that. Like right now, I'm having these fleeting thoughts about a couple of different topics that are much more intense, but they are like wisps of smoke that drift through my head and then poof!, they disappear. I'm not sure how to catch these thoughts but I'd really like because I think they have merit and should be explored. But I swear sometimes they're gone before I can even get to a piece of paper, which is super frustrating.

I'd like to know what other bloggers and writers do if they experience this. I feel that I'm at a point where my writing has improved but that it's time to dig a little deeper. Anyone have any input?

post signature Pin It

3 comments:

Susan @ Mommy Mind Trip said...

I understand exactly what you mean. I'm in a very similar place in my "writing process" and have struggled to bring the deeply buried, more intense parts of me to the surface. I've found that when I do write about something that resonates more deeply, my writing is a bit more sloppy. I think that's ok. The only advice I have thus far is don't let your head get in the way too much. Easier said than done. Can't wait to read what comes out!

bereccah5 said...

Thanks Susan! I agree - sometimes you've just to honor the content versus worrying over the mechanics. What I need is a pensieve, like in Harry Potter!

Janice Person said...

Hey there. I have changed blogging several times since starting.... I just went through a blogstorming session to decide what topics I wanted to do more of and try to capture big ideas, etc so I'm a bit more organized. http://janiceperson.com/social-media/blogstorming-brainstorming-organizing-ideasblog-blogchat/